Galley_Old-1

This is part 1 of a 5 part series on the Galley Remodel Project that turned into much more than a project involving the Galley.

As I may have told you before, when I bought L’Attitude (almost exactly 2 years ago!!), her faucet leaked. I don’t mean it dripped a little. I mean, more water landed outside the galley area than inside the sink. So one day I went to Home Depot and I dropped a bill or two on a fancy new kitchen faucet.

Back at the boat, faucet in hand, I open all the drawers under the faucet and begin the process of unhooking the old faucet. Only, this clearly proved to be a job not well suited for hands the size of mine. Frankly, I can’t imagine anything with paws larger than those of a petite squirrel would be able to maneuver the fittings required to replace said faucet.

And the hoses. The hoses connecting the sink to the freshwater pump and tanks were old and brittle and generally in miserable shape. So I stood back and took a good look at the galley.

To replace the faucet, removal of the sink would be required. And when I remove the sink, I might as well replace the old countertops that didn’t do anything for my ability to woo girls. And while the countertops were being replaced, it would be prudent to re-plumb the freshwater system with new hoses.

And while I was re-plumbing the freshwater system, I might as well re-plumb the raw water system, since it was in such a state of nastiness that I’d chosen to ignore the threat it posed to sink me at anytime without warning.

Oh, and also this would be a good time to install a new fridge and freezer to replace the ones I’d already decommissioned, since that would have to be done before the new countertops were fitted.

And. And! Since the fridge will be removed, I’ll finally be able to access the fuel tank we’d discovered was leaking through a bunch of tiny pinholes. Maybe I could cut an access plate in it and patch it up somehow! That’d be a great idea…and maybe the boat wouldn’t smell like diesel anymore!

Such is the nature of boat work. Maybe you can understand why I lived with a leaky faucet for a year and a half.

And while it took 18 months from the purchase of that first new faucet, I finally took the plunge back in March and, with the help of a guy who knows more about these things than I, began tearing stuff up. Ready for some photos?

How about a video first?

[Video should appear below. If not, click here.]

The before: Featuring a leaky faucet, moldy icebox, and original countertops…
Galley Old 1

The nastiness of freshwater plumbing once the sink was removed. The air vents for the freshwater tanks actually vented into the sink, causing twice the number of hoses necessary for a typical sink installation…
Galley Demo 1

Stove and countertops removed. We’d begun cutting out the old icebox area to make room for the new 12v fridge…
Galley Demo 3

Icebox cutout, continued…
Galley Demo 4

Once the old icebox was cut out, we were able to access the top of the leaky diesel tank and cut an access hole in the lid…
Galley Demo 6

Here you can see the raw water sea chest. The purpose of the sea chest is to reduce the number of thru-hulls in the boat, so saltwater enters the sea chest and the sea chest feeds water to things like the A/C cooling pump, toilets, etc. Here it was such a nightmare that we decided to pull all the old plumbing out and start from scratch…
Galley Demo 8

This is only a fraction of the old plumbing we removed…
Galley Demo 9

With the galley fully demolished, we then set about putting it back together.

Next up: Galley Remodel Project- Pt. 2: Repairing the Fuel Tank


Bo is currently based in Orange Beach, Alabama working towards checking #31 off his bucket list. If you’d like to be a part of the adventure, consider sponsoring a mile or checking out his Junior Captains program for kids here.